General Prep and Finish Guidelines
Properly Prepare the Surface
Proper preparation of exterior wood surfaces is essential to ensure effective application of One TIME and to ultimately achieve a desirable and enduring finish. Removing past applications of stains, sealers and coatings, as well as dirt, grime and contaminants, will ensure that One TIME stain and sealer penetrates deep into the wood for curing.
If a new wood surface is being sealed, we recommend cleaning off any dirt, grime and contaminants before applying One TIME. Any dirt or stains not removed will be permanently sealed into the wood.
To remove most other sealers, coatings, deck stains, or other treatments previously applied to your wood surface, One TIME Stain and Sealer Remover is the ideal solution. One TIME Stain and Sealer Remover will remove both water and oil based stains and sealers.
One gallon of One TIME Stain and Sealer Remover will cover approximately 150 – 200 square feet.
Caution: Wear protection for skin and eyes when using One TIME Stain and Sealer Remover; the product is corrosive and will cause burns.
Mill glaze on smooth cedar wood will restrict One TIME from working properly. ALL mill glaze must be removed before applying One TIME.
- Estimate the amount of One TIME needed to ensure you have the proper supplies.
- Check for any loose boards, steps or benches, and exposed nails or screws. Reset or replace any loose nails or screws.
- Remove any feathered areas in your wood with a light sanding.
- Cover surrounding vegetation with plastic tarps to protect them while working.
- Check the weather service to make sure there is no chance of rain for the next 24 hours.
Achieving a Stunning and Sustaining Finish
Once you have completed your basic checklist, you can begin applying One TIME. Feel free to choose among any of the standard methods – brush, low nap roller, paint pad or an airless paint sprayer – to apply One TIME to the wood surface. You will see that One TIME immediately begins penetrating across and deep into the wood surface – delivering 1 1/2 times the coverage of conventional treatments.
Once applied, One TIME immediately begins curing in both direct and indirect sunlight. Under overcast conditions, 48 hours is needed for curing. In direct sunlight, One TIME cures in less than 48 hours. Over-application may result in slower cure time, and could cause a shiny finish.
To rejuvenate the color of your wood surface at any time within 7 years, simply clean the wood and re-apply One TIME.
Never strip again!
- Only one coat of One TIME is needed
- One TIME will not leave overlap, run or drip marks
- One TIME will not crack, peel, flake or chip